Who are We?
- Founded in 1907
- Among the world’s largest arts education organizations
- The only association that focuses on all aspects of music education
- Advocates for teachers and students with elected officials
- Works to ensure all students have well-balanced, high-quality music instruction
- Works to ensure music study remains an integral part of the school curriculum
- Plays a key role in the development of the Core Arts Standards
What Do We Believe?
NAfME Position Statements
Advocacy and the Music Educator
After-School Music Education Programs
Assessment in Music Education
Early Childhood Education
Health in Music Education
Homeschooled Students’ Participation in Public School Music Education
Inclusivity in Music Education
The Non-Educator Performer in the Music Classroom
Public School and Community Music Group Relationships
Sacred Music In Schools
Specialized Music Instruction (Position Statement)
The Value and Quality of Arts Education
We Invite Your Input!
In September 2016, the National Executive Board of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) began a review of all current position statements that currently appear on the NAfME website. Contexts have changed since a number of these were officially approved and adopted by the Association.
We invite all music educators, advocates, students, parents, researchers, and other stakeholders in music educator to provide their ideas for clarifying and strengthening the NAfME position statements that are currently under review.
Learn how you can participate here!