Middle and Upper School Band Director
Ethical Culture Fieldston School is a progressive preK-12 independent school serving students from throughout New York City and the surrounding suburbs. Committed to academic excellence, ethical learning, and progressive education, ECFS offers a rich and challenging curriculum in the arts, sciences, and humanities. A coed, nonsectarian school, it serves a diverse community of about 1,700 students from PreK to 12 on two campuses — one in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, and the other in Manhattan.
Fieldston Middle and Upper School is looking for an outstanding, experienced, music teacher, who is comfortable working in a progressive school with a diverse student body. This is a full-time, 10 month position.
Primary responsibilities include directing three middle school bands, a high school woodwind ensemble and teaching chamber music. The ideal candidate must be comfortable working collaboratively with other teachers and assuming responsibility as an advisor for a small group of students.
Ideal candidates will be energized by employing a range of pedagogical approaches and will be excited by the opportunity to teach a diverse student body in a values based community. The ideal candidate has also demonstrated a commitment to addressing issues of equity, identity, and privilege, within and outside the classroom. A passion for working with high school students, a flexible attitude, a commitment to lifelong learning, and a sense of humor are essential.
• Bachelor’s degree in music. Masters preferred
• Minimum 3 years of experience teaching music in a school setting.
• Thorough knowledge of woodwind, brass and percussion instruments is a must.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Ability to conduct large ensemble rehearsals as well as teach group lessons on all band instruments
• Ability to arrange music for band and woodwind ensemble
• Prior work in middle and high school environments working with students from grades 6 to 12.
• Proficient with using technology, including music notation software.
To be considered for the above mentioned position, please upload a letter of interest, a resume, a statement of your educational philosophy and email and phone contact information for three professional references. Please generate all documents in MS Word or a converted .pdf file. Complete applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled. No phone calls or emails, please. Thank you for your interest in Ethical Culture Fieldston School.