Performance licensing is a task many music educators struggle with. For events sponsored by NAfME or its state affiliates, a member benefit eliminates this chore.
Through agreements with ASCAP and BMI, NAfME-sponsored groups are granted performance rights to music managed by these organizations. This covers only nondramatic performances sponsored by NAfME and “its Divisions and State Organizations.”
That includes events such as the following:
- Performances at NAfME national, division, or state MEA conferences.
- All-state or all-national honor ensembles.
- Performances at NAfME or MEA meetings.
- Other Association concerts, such as for the anniversary of the founding of an MEA.
That does not include these events:
- Concerts given by NAfME members and/or their students that are not sponsored by NAfME or a state MEA.
- School concerts (See Copyright: Performance Exemptions#4 for more information on school concerts.)
However, if members wish to record their students’ performance of any work, permission must be obtainedthrough RightsFlow Limelight or The Harry Fox Agency’s Songfile. For more information, visit RightsFlow Limelight or the Harry Fox Agency’s Songfile.